In this blog we are taking a close look at the best AR 10 rifles available on the market. Although in our next episode, we will feature the best AR-10 upper receivers, Best AR-10 lowers, and best AR-10 kits.
Without further ado… let’s get started.
#1. M5E1 Complete Rifle, 16″ .308 Stainless Steel Mid-Length Barrel
The Aero Precision M5E1 Complete Rifle with 16″ .308 Stainless Steel Mid-Length Barrel is built on our popular Enhanced Series Upper Receiver. This system features a custom integrated upper receiver and handguard system that provides the shooter a light-weight, free-floated, rigid design resulting in superior performance and accuracy.
All complete rifles are assembled by our professional gunsmiths and are tested prior to leaving our facility. Buy with confidence when you purchase a Complete Rifle from Aero Precision.
- Upper: M5E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver
- Barrel: 16″ .308 Stainless Steel Barrel, Mid-Length, 1:10 Twist, 416R Stainless Steel, Bead Blasted
- Handguard: Gen 2 Enhanced Series Handguard of choice
- Gas System: Low Profile Gas Block and Mid-Length Gas Tube
- Bolt Carrier Group: M16 Cut, 8620 Steel, Phosphate Finish, Properly Staked
- Muzzle Device: Standard AR 308 A2 Birdcage Flash Hider
- Lower: Gen 2 Lower Receiver with flared magwell and tension screw
- Lower Parts Kit: Standard .308 Lower Parts Kit
- Buffer Kit: M5 .308 Carbine Buffer Kit
- Stock: Magpul STR Stock
- Grip: Magpul MOE Grip
- Magazine: Magpul 20 Round PMAG®
|Shipping to FFL Dealer Required||Yes|
|Made In America?||Yes|
|Weight(s)||12″ KeyMod – / 12″ M-LOK – / 12″ Quad Rail – / 15″ KeyMod – / 15″ M-LOK – / 15″ Quad Rail –|
#2. Armalite AR-10 Tactical Rifle
A tactical workhorse, the AR10TAC16 is the perfect tool for duty and defense. All Armalite Tactical Series rifles come equipped with MAGPUL MBUS flip-up sights and MOE+ pistol grips. The dual-purpose flash hiding compensator tames recoil while reducing signature. The sturdy 15” tactical MLOK handguard provides ample hand placement and a full-length MIL-STD 1913 12 o’clock rail for sights an accessories. An adjustable gas block also allows the rifle to be individually tuned for optimal performance for your choice of ammunition and/or suppressor use.
Attachment Method: MLOK Product Line: AR-10 Product Category: Tactical Caliber: 7.62×51 NATO Barrel: Stainless Steel, Black Nitride Barrel Length: 16″ Twist Rate: 1:10 RH Muzzle Device: ARMALITE TACTICAL BRAKE Handguard: ARMALITE 15″ M-LOK TACTICAL Stock: 7-POSITION COLLAPSIBLE Trigger: ARMALITE TWO-STAGE PRECISION Length: 35.5″ Collapsed | 39.5″ Extended Weight: 8.5 LBS. Included: One 25-Round Magpul PMAG, Owner’s Manual.
#3. GGP HEAVY .308 MKII™
Grey Ghost Precision worked hard to produce an extremely accurate .308 WIN semi-automatic rifle that fit specific requests from soldiers operating in Afghanistan. Coupled with evaluations by Special Forces marksmanship instructors, competition shooters and hardcore hunters, the final form of the “Barking Dog” has several cutting-edge enhancements that make it the most reliable nail-driver in its class.
The GGP Heavy .308 MKII Rifle: a New Benchmark in the DMR World!
- GGP MKII 7075-T651 Billet Upper Receiver and Ambi Lower Receiver / GGP MKII Extended Length (15″) M-LOK handguard
- True Black Type III Class 2 Mil Spec hard coat anodize / 16″ .308WIN match grade BBL. 1×10 twist, 5/8-24 threaded muzzle with GGP muzzle brake, Black Nitride coating in and out, Mid Length gas. / Superlative Arms Adjustable Gas Block
- Bolt Carrier Group is Black Nitrided and MP/MPI tested / Carbine .308 Buffer and 17-7 Carbine Buffer Spring
- Timney Triggers AR-15 Competition Trigger (Single Stage) / Radian Weapons Talon safety selector and Raptor charging handle
- MAGPUL MOE pistol grip and SL-S Adjustable Stock / Includes MAGPUL PMAG® 20 LR/SR GEN M3™ Magazine
- Overall Weight: 8.3 lbs / Overall Length (stock extended): 38″ / Collapsed Length: 35″ / No sights or optics included.
#4. DD5®V3® (7.62 X 51MM)
The DD5 V3 builds upon the foundation Daniel Defense established in 7.62 AR-style rifles. This highly accurate and durable rifle includes an adjustable gas block that allows for a consistent feel whether shooting suppressed or unsuppressed. The perfected bolt carrier group reduces overall recoil impulse and is easy to maintain and operate in all conditions. Designed around a Cold Hammer Forged barrel with an innovative 4-Bolt Connection System, this design dramatically increases the connection surface area between the barrel and upper receiver for increased rigidity/stability to wring out accuracy traditionally only found in high-end bolt action rifles. The DD5 platforms have upgraded controls like ambi bolt catch, magazine release, safety selector and Daniel Defense enhanced furniture. The DD5 V3 sets a new benchmark in performance for 7.62 AR-style rifles.
- > User-adjustable gas block for reliable suppressed shooting
- > Superfinished and DLC-coated bolt carrier group makes it easy to clean and operate in all conditions
- > Bolt carrier is equipped with a buffer for optimized cycling and improved recoil impulse
- > Bolt is designed with enhanced extractor geometry and dual ejectors for reliable cycling
- > 16″ Cold Hammer Forged proprietary steel chrome-lined barrel for a lifetime of accuracy and durability
- > Innovative 4-Bolt Connection System to ensure greater accuracy
- > GRIP-N-RIP independently ambi charging handle with anti-gas features for a better shooting experience
MATERIALS & CONSTRUCTION
- LOWER RECEIVER: Enhanced Flared Magazine Well and Rear Receiver QD Swivel Attachment Point. CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
- UPPER RECEIVER: CNC Machined of 7075-T6 Aluminum, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
- BARREL: DD Proprietary Steel, Cold Hammer Forged, 1:10” Twist, 16″ S2W Profile, Intermediate Gas System, Chrome Lined, Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coated
- GAS SYSTEM: User-Adjustable Gas Block CNC Machined of 4140 Hardened Steel and Mil-Spec Heavy Phosphate Coating, Intermediate, Direct Impingement
- MUZZLE DEVICE: Daniel Defense Superior Suppression Device, 17-4 PH Stainless Steel, Salt Bath Nitride Finished
- TRIGGER: Daniel Defense Mil-Spec
- HANDGUARD: Daniel Defense DD5 Rail 15.0, CNC Machined of 6061-T6 Aluminum, M-LOK Attachment, Type III Hard Coat Anodized
- RECEIVER EXTENSION: 6 Position Mil-Spec 7075-T6 Aluminum
- BUTTSTOCK: Daniel Defense Buttstock, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
- PISTOL GRIP: Daniel Defense Pistol Grip, Glass Filled Polymer with Soft Touch Overmolding
- MAGAZINES: Accepts All SR-25 Magazines
#5. Bushmaster BF XM-10 308 ORC Semi-automatic 7.62x51mm
Bushmaster XM-10 308 ORC 7.62 NATO Semi-automatic Rifle. More firepower in a lightweight, easy-to-handle Sporting Rifle. Discover the difference! The Bushmaster BF XM-10 .308 Winchester ORC (Optics Ready Carbine) provides big game hunters with a powerful, accurate, lightweight alternative to traditional bolt-action and lever-action .308 rifles. Optics-ready design is ideal for the shooter who plans on adding custom optics. Special features:16″ heavy profile with mid-length gas system and A2 birdcage flash hiderReceiver length Picatinny optics rail with two 1 3/4″ optics risersMilled gas blockHeavy oval hand guardSix-position telescoping stock TM reduces overall length by 4″ when collapsed for convenient carryShips with operator safety manual, chamber flag, sling and 20-round magazineBushmaster XM-10 308 ORC Rifle specs:Caliber: .308 Winchester / 7.62 NATOAction: Semi-automaticCapacity: 20+1Barrel length: 16″Barrel material: 4150 chrome-moly steel with chrome-lined bore and chamberBarrel twist: 1 x 10″Upper receiver: Machined from 7075 T6 aluminum forgingsLower receiver: Machined from 7075 T6 aluminum forgingsSights: none (optics ready)Flash hider: A2 birdcageOverall length: 37 1/4″Overall weight: 7.75 lbs.
#6. Sig Sauer 716i Tread
Familiar handling, unfamiliar power, SIG SAUER has taken the proven features of the SIG516 and applied them into a potent AR-based rifle chambered in 7.62 NATO. Utilizing the tried and true Direct Impingement System, an M1913 Mil-Std rail, free-floating barrel, aluminum forend, and telescoping stock, the SIG716 is the rifle of choice when you require the power of a larger caliber carbine.
#7. Brownells BRN-10 308 Win Retro Rifle
The BRN-10® by Brownells is a recreation of Eugene Stoner’s original lightweight .308 caliber battle rifle that revolutionized rifle design forever. For the first time, it is possible for the shooter of average means to own – and shoot – a meticulously detailed, factory-new, semi-auto replica at a fraction of a scarce original’s price. The BRN-10® accurately replicates the original .308 AR in great detail – and it’s built to modern standards using the latest manufacturing technology.
21st Century Technology Meets Historical Detail. Designed in partnership with FM Products, our BRN-10® receivers are fully machined, not forged, from 7075 T6 aluminum billet. The distinctive lines of late Armalite® AR-10® rifles are carefully reproduced, including the slab-sided lower with straight magazine well. Takedown pins, selector lever, magazine release, and bolt release all have crisp horizontal serrations that match the original rifles.
Clean, Uncluttered, Still “Futuristic”. The absence of a forward assist and shell deflector makes the BRN-10® upper unusually uncluttered. Up top is the original “trigger”-style charging handle prominently located under the carry handle and positioned for rapid, easy operation – a practical benefit somewhat lost with the later charging handle location.
The BRN-10’s rear sight is fully enclosed by the carry handle, like the original. A simple, A2-style horizontal thumbwheel lets you adjust elevation, while windage is changed by loosening a setscrew and drifting the rear peep. A small window in the rear of the carry handle lets you see the current elevation setting.
Detail Under the Hood. Inside the BRN-10®, the carrier has the distinctive flats and two stabilizing flanges at the rear found on early carriers, and the entire bolt/carrier group is chrome-plated. The bolt itself is machined from 9310 carbon steel and magnetic particle inspected (MPI) to make sure there are no microscopic flaws that could cause premature failure – a benefit the original guns did not have.
The BRN-10’s 20″ barrel, chambered in .308 Winchester, is made for Brownells by Faxon. It first gets a QPQ Nitride finish for excellent resistance to surface wear. After nitriding, the barrel gets top coat that replicates the look of the classic manganese phosphate finish found on the 1950s rifles.
The handguard drops in like a standard AR-15 handguard, but its external contours replicate the original AR-10® ’guard. Buttstock and pistol grip are from the Brownells Retro line; the buttstock is a Type D stock, without a trap door.
Up-to-Date & Compatible. Brownells BRN-10® rifles accept standard metal DPMS/SR-25 magazines. They are NOT compatible with Magpul PMAGs due to lower receiver contour. A majority of the components on the BRN-10® are compatible with modern DPMS/SR-25 parts or AR-15 parts. See Compatibility Notes below.
#8. DPMS Panther Oracle .308 AR-10 20rd 16″ Rifle 60560
The .308 Oracle, much like it’s 5.56mm little brother, is one of our most popular rifles due to its compact size, rugged military carbine features and .308 firepower. Just add optics and ammo and it’s ready to hunt or turn heads at the range.
#9. Rock River Arms LAR-8 Operator 308 Winchester Rifle
The quality and reliability of Rock River Arms firearms continues to win new admirers. The U.S. Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA) and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) put a variety of different manufacturers rifles through an exhaustive trials process, and based on those trials awarded Rock River Arms with a 5 year contract as their primary supplier. Since that time Rock River Arms has received additional federal contracts.
Rock River Arms is one of the fastest growing firearms manufacturers in the country, but remains committed to continuing to provide its civilian, law enforcement and military customers with the kind of custom products and services on which it’s reputation has been built.
#10. HK & Koch MR308 A3 – 16.5
The semi-automatic rifle in a AR-10 design featuring the reliable G36 gas piston system in high caliber .308. Now completely operational on both sides. Suitable for all static and dynamic rifle disciplines.
- > Slim line handguard with HKey mounting slots
- > Transparent polymer magazine available as a 2, 5, 10 or 20 rounds magazine
- > Ambidextrous bolt catch lever with with protective wall to prevent accidental release of the bolt
- > Ambidextrous magazine release lever
- > Quick-change sight
- > Slim Line buttstock with an adjustable length and 5 locking positions
- > hard chrome plated barrel
- > Available in black or RAL8000